Thursday, April 22, 2010

Final Countdown

The countdown has officially begun.....26 days until school is out! Oh, there are also 27 days until the reign of Baby begins. Up until this point, there have been few countdowns that have captivated my attention like this particular countdown. The countdown for graduating high school barely registered a blip on my radar. I was so disturbed by the Y2K craze that on Dec. 31st, I rushed out to the local Wal-Mart and invested heavily in a case of Sam's Choice water ($3.27) and then proceeded to fall asleep on the couch at 10:30. However, the countdown of the last few months has completely enveloped me...followed by total denial. The denial days are quickly dwindling. Let me quickly catch you up to speed...

Septemberish - "Oh my gosh...I think I am pregnant," says lovely wife. Whoa...that's cool! replies "completely unsure of what this means for me now" husband.

October - February - Random doctor visits. Completely awesome wife handling the overwhelming changes to body like a champ. Husband (blissfully ignorant of the complete chaos that is about to crash down upon his, up to this point, delightful existence) continues to go about his day with very few changes.

March - Husband feels baby kick, and everything becomes much more real....followed by the realization that due date isn't until May...."plenty of time..." Continues blissful ignorance.

Baby delivery classes - What the heck?!?!?! How do these videos help anyone? I now know one thing for sure....I am getting the epidural, and I don't care if it inhibits my ability to latch...and what does that even mean?

April- Baby showers, strollers, changing tables (are these really necessary?), cribs, car seats, burping rags?, big plastic balls that suck air and supposedly go into baby's nose, and.... most disturbing of all, people...tons of people...friends, colleagues, family, acquantances, neighbors, my barber's mother's gardner...basically everyone approaching me with a devilish grin that says, I am going to absolutely enjoy watching you turn into a steamy pile of sleepless goo over the next few months while verbally saying, "Are you getting excited?"

April 22nd - Fear!

Til' next time...

4 comments:

  1. There's no doubt that you two will take to it when the time comes as naturally as ducks to water. Love, Uncle Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will have the "American Doll" or something equivalent :-) hee, hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil & Jennifer,Enjoy these two quotes and your new stage in life!

    While we try to teach our children all about life,our children teach us what life is all about.
    - Angela Schwindt

    Everybody knows how to raise children, except the people who have them.
    - P. J. O'Rourke

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will finally realize why sometimes I would rather go home and see my child than go to Wings-N-Rings. The simplest moments with your little one will be some of the most emotional moving experiences you will have in your life time.

    ReplyDelete